|HUGH M. HEFNER ARCHIVIST
University of Southern California
Requisition ID 27051
Division School of Cinematic Arts
Department School of Cinematic Arts
Location University Park Campus
Employment Full Time
Hiring Range $41,000 – $43,199
Job Announcement: The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
USC’s School of Cinematic Arts is seeking a Hugh M. Hefner Archivist to join its team.
The Hugh M. Hefner Archivist supervises the daily operations of the Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive, USC’s repository of approximately 70,000 motion picture negatives, sound elements, video, digital media, and photographs.
• Supervises day-to-day operations of a large library facility, center, department or unit that provides specialized and varied library services. Advises senior management on operational, administrative, personnel and budgetary matters.
• Provides assistance to library patrons using electronic databases, electronic journals, and electronic reference materials within a tiered service environment. Assists patrons in identifying and locating appropriate discipline-specific and interdisciplinary resources, demonstrates search techniques, interprets results, and refers questions as appropriate.
• Monitors and assesses the use of library facilities, reports maintenance needs, and makes recommendations regarding utilization of library space. Contributes to long term planning for expansions and/or relocations.
• Schedules, assigns tasks, and prioritizes workloads on a daily basis. Sets appropriate goals and deadlines. Ensures timely completion of unit’s work. Assigns and monitors progress on work assignments and special projects. Identifies and reports staffing needs to library administrative head.
• Engage in long range planning activities such as developing a mission statement, collection development policy, access services, and operational procedures.
• Oversee best quality duplication of content while assuring protection of originals.
• Communicate effectively with USC departments, labs, and the public.
• Supervises at least two full-time staff or the equivalent engaged in specialized library functions for a large library facility, center, department or unit. Recruits, screens, hires and trains staff. Evaluates employee and/or student workers and provides guidance and feedback to assigned staff and/or student workers. Counsels, disciplines and/or terminates employees as required.
• Oversees system-wide procedures governing the creation, updating and deletion of data in library databases. Enforces quality control measures for the library system’s patron database and/or other library systems in adherence to national and institutional standards. Provides assistance in accessing and interpreting records and transactions, resolving discrepancies, and communicating the results.
• Revises processes to improve efficiency or adapt to new requirements, software, or other operational systems changes. Analyzes and maps workflows. Develops forms, manuals, flow charts, process maps, web content and other documentation. Communicates and documents revised processes and procedures.
• Coordinates the integration of new services, techniques, and technologies into library operations or programs. Plans, organizes and schedules activities to meet objectives.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
=Bachelor’s Degree and three years experience to obtain extensive knowledge of library operations and technical systems.
=Office management combined with experience in budget administration.
=Combined experience/education may substitute for minimum education
=Master’s Degree with 5 Years of experience to obtain comprehensive knowledge of library operations and technical systems in a large or specialized academic library.
=Office management and budget administration experience combined with specialized knowledge of University policies and procedures.
=Three years of supervisory experience in a media library or archive.
=Knowledge of film elements, video, and digital formats.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
APPLY ONLINE AT: http://tinyurl.com/5og8rd