Job Posting: Special Collections Cataloger, Getty Research Institute (Los Angeles, CA)Posted: February 23, 2012
via SLIS Careers Feed and The Getty Trust
Overview: This is a limited-term position for 2 years. The Cataloger will lead a project team responsible for processing and writing a finding aid for the Harald Szeemann papers. Influential curator Harald Szeemann was a distinguished advocate of movements such as conceptualism, land art, happenings and performance, and of artists such as Joseph Beuys, Bruce Nauman, Richard Serra, and Cy Twombly. Szeemann’s papers document every step of his process, including preliminary notes, written descriptions and proposals for projects, installation sketches, exhibition documentation, research files, and extensive correspondence with colleagues and artist collaborators. The Cataloger will develop and implement a detailed processing plan for the Szeemann papers according to archival standards and best practices; set priorities in consultation with curatorial and reference staff; coordinate and oversee the work of the processing team; supervise project interns and provide ongoing guidance and advice to the processing team.
Responsibilities: Applies art historical expertise and knowledge of archival standards and best practices to develop and implement a team-based processing plan. Determines priorities in consultation with curatorial and reference staff. Documents project workflow and progress. Problem-solves issues as they arise. Provides mentoring and guidance to the processing team. Supervises project interns.
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field
- Graduate degree in art history or archival management preferred
- 2-3 years related professional experience
- Reading knowledge of German and/or Italian; fluency preferred
- Knowledge of standards such as DACS, EAD, LCSH, AAT preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Demonstrated project management experience preferred
- Experience with Archivists’ Toolkit or other collection management systems preferred
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills preferred
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
More information and online application available at: https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/1776/job