Job Posting: Project Assistant Archivist, Museum of Modern Art (New York, NY)Posted: April 6, 2012
via UMSI iTrack
The Museum of Modern Art is currently seeking a 2-year grant-funded Project Assistant Archivist to assist with reference activities. Specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Assists in the daily operations of reference activities in the Museum Archives department, including responding to correspondence, email, and telephone requests; conducting reference interviews; and overseeing on-site researchers.
- Processes loans, determines availability of object and its insurance value, handles all correspondence, completes all loan forms, and works with Conservation and the Registrar when necessary.
- Reviews and responds to applications to publish materials in the Museum Archives.
- Conducts research on subjects in support of specific Museum projects, e.g., for lectures, remarks, press requests, exhibition research, and web site development.
- Assists in vetting files for confidential information before they are made available to the public.
- Assists in maintenance of user log.
- Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Art History with an emphasis on modern art, Master’s degree preferred, and 2 years relevant work experience with a minimum of one year in an archival facility or equivalent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of twentieth-century art, art historical reference sources and other related research material.
- Reading knowledge of French or German.
- Solid computer (MS office), verbal, and writing skills.
- Ability to lift heavy boxes.
Ms. Michelle Elligott
PO Box 23350
Seattle, Washington 98102
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.