Job Posting: Technical Services Librarian, Massachusetts College of Art and DesignPosted: August 9, 2012
via MBLC Library Job Listings
Technical Services Librarian
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
Application review date: September 10, 2012
The Technical Services Librarian serves as co-coordinator for planning, implementation, and problem solving of all library technical service areas. Key areas of responsibility include acquisitions, serials management, financial analysis, expenditure tracking, and collection development. Secondary areas of responsibility are performed on an as-needed basis: back-up for library services including copy cataloging, processing, repair, and bibliographic instruction.
The Technical Services Librarian reports to the Library Director. He/She will supervise a Clerk IV.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- ALA-accredited masters degree in library and information science.
- A minimum of 2 or more years of professional technical services experience.
- Knowledge of current library policies and practices in technical service areas, particularly in the areas of acquisitions and serials. Experience with book ordering and familiarity with broad range of in-print and out-of-print vendors.
- Demonstrated disposition to learn, grow, and develop as the field develops and changes.
- Knowledge of OCLC, LC Classification and Subject Headings, and other appropriate cataloging tools such as AACR2R.
- Experience with budgeting and expenditure tracking; knowledge of financial applications such as Excel.
- Experience with integrated library systems and knowledge of online databases.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Flexibility appropriate for a dynamic work setting, including schedule changes that are seasonal and/or respond to institutional needs and the desire to participate in collaborative problem solving.
- The physical ability to move packages up to 20 lbs. and move/shelve books and magazines.
- Background in, or demonstrated interest in visual or performing arts; BFA, BA in Art Education or Art History, and/or advanced arts related degree preferred.
- Experience with Voyager and SFX.
- Professional technical services experience in an art or academic setting.
Requisition Number: 0100217