Job Posting: Visual Resources Librarian, Massachusetts College of Art and DesignPosted: August 9, 2012
via MBLC Library Job Listings
Visual Resources Librarian
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
Application review date: August 27, 2012
Job Description / Statement of Duties:
The Visual Resources Librarian serves as the library team member with direct responsibility for the Visual Resources Department and oversight of all digitization processes in the library. Key responsibilities include management of MDID database (currently consisting of 28,000 images), and slide collection, collection development, systems, cataloging, and reference/instruction for the visual resources collections. Shared responsibilities include supporting the use of technology for teaching across the campus and consulting on campus wide digitization projects. Other duties include participating in library planning, budgeting, reference, and collection development.
The Visual Resources Librarian reports to the Library Director. He/She will supervise the Digital Imaging Specialist Assistant and also oversees supervision of 4-6 part-time student employees.
Review of applications will begin Monday, August 27, 2012, and will continue until position is filled.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library science and 2 or more years of professional job experience managing visual resources.
- Background in, or demonstrated interest in, visual or performing arts.
- Knowledge of current policies and practices in visual resources and an understanding of emerging technologies relevant to image collections, digitization, and teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated disposition to learn, grow, and develop as the field develops and changes.
- Experience with image management software and cataloging systems relevant to visual resources.
- Experience with integrated library systems, such as Voyager.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Flexibility appropriate for a dynamic work setting, including schedule changes that are seasonal. Ability to respond to institutional needs and the desire to participate in collaborative problem solving.
- Ability to distinguish color.
- BFA or BA in studio art or art history.
- Experience with technologies for teaching and learning, such as WordPress Multi-user environment.
- Experience addressing a variety of learning styles in a diverse community.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Interviewed candidates will be required to do a 10-min. presentation on a topic relevant to visual resources librarianship.