Job Posting: Librarian II, City of Berkeley, CAPosted: November 14, 2012
via UCLA Information Studies Job Listings
Closing date: 11/26/12 5:00 PM Pacific Time
The Berkeley Public Library is looking for Librarian candidates for our Reference, Art & Music and Children’s divisions. Bi-lingual skills in Spanish or Chinese are beneficial. Candidates with an MLS and 2 or more years of experience as a professional Librarian should submit only the Librarian II application.
Typical duties may include:
- Assesses patron needs and advises them in making effective use of library resources and services
- Assists patrons of all ages with reference questions in general and specialized subject areas and selection of books, magazines, records, pamphlets and other print and non print materials
- Prepares reading lists and bibliographies using computer equipment and programs
- Assists in program planning and implementation, including outreach and public relations work
- Independently performs complex classifying, cataloging and processing books and other materials
- Provides professional assistance in selection of a wide range of library materials and in maintaining library collections
- May assume lead responsibilities of non professional staff
Equivalent to graduation from a college or university with a Master’s degree in Library Science
Two (2) years of experience as a professional librarian. Specialized subject knowledge is desirable. Progressively responsible related experience may be substituted for the college coursework on a year-for-year basis.