Job Posting: Assistant Archivist, Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (NYC)Posted: November 26, 2012 Filed under: Opportunities: Job Postings | Tags: job postings, jobs Comments Off on Job Posting: Assistant Archivist, Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (NYC)
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Assistant Archivist (4 days per week/32 hours). As a member of the Library and Archives Department, the Assistant Archivist is responsible for the operation and maintenance of archives database; providing organizational and staff support for new accessions; arranging, re-housing and describing archives collections; coordinating, scheduling and training interns; assisting in other Archives functions as directed by the Director of the Library and Archives.
· Responsible for accessioning archival materials including both paper and electronic; interact with staff to evaluate record submissions.
· Process (arrange, describe, re-house) archival materials according to current industry standards including creation of processing plans; appraisal evaluations; and DACS-compliant EAD finding aids and MARC records.
· Provide reference services for in-house staff and external researchers as directed, including researching and answering reference questions for staff, and providing reference assistance via telephone, e-mail and in person for external researchers.
· Supervise archives interns and volunteers as needed providing a friendly and challenging work environment.
· Ensure quality and uniformity of archives records; perform retrospective changes or upgrades to individual records as needed.
· Collaborate on special projects with curatorial, registrar, legal, and other museum departments as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· MLIS or equivalent; Bachelor’s in Art or Art history preferred
· Minimum three years experience working with archival collections
· Strong communication and organizational skills
· Must be able to lift up to 40 lb boxes
· Knowledge of Museum purposes, organization, and procedures preferred.
· Strong writing, communication, and organizational skills.
· Ability to work independently in various environments ranging from office setting to warehouse storage facilities.