Job Posting: Art History Librarian, Virginia Commonwealth University, School of the Arts in QatarPosted: March 3, 2013
via VRA job opportunities
Reporting to the Director of Libraries the Art History Librarian provides the leadership, vision and planning for the Art History collection, information literacy instruction, reference, and research services and activities to students and faculty studying art history across VCUQatar.
- Oversee the collection, research and information literacy instructional needs of students and faculty in the Art History program.
- Provide the vision and leadership for building the Art History library book, media and image collections in deep collaboration with the Art History faculty and students.
- Oversee, plan and promote the Art History collection including careful planning and follow through to meet the needs of an expansive budget and limited timeline.
- Complete and maintain a detailed collection development plan in collaboration with the department.
- Work with the Art History faculty on resources needed to support curriculum and proposals for new courses and accreditation.
- Serve as a leader and mentor for collection development for the library. Work closely with the Technical Services Manager to acquire and maintain all art history resources including databases and serial subscriptions.
- Collaborate closely with librarians at VCU Richmond Libraries, the Qatar National Library, Education City Libraries, the Qatar Museum Authority and other regional libraries to develop cooperative collection development policies in order to build the best art history collection for the region.
- Define information literacy learning outcomes for the BA in Art History major with the department and follow through with collaborative teaching and assessment.
- Assist with developing curriculum and instructing art history students in using subject specific and advanced research thesauri. This will include acquiring and teaching about all types of print and non-print resources for art historical research including monographs, periodicals, databases, media, images, historical and primary sources.
- Guide students and faculty through excellent reference and research assistance services, including working with highly specialized resources, materials and images relevant to their specific academic research interests in a variety of art historical research disciplines, timelines and geographic areas.
- Participate in general library reference service, including occasional evening and weekend service.
- Share specialized collection knowledge through training sessions to the Art History department, VCUQatar and the broader community.
- Participate in teaching, scholarship, research and service activities as an active member of the VCUQatar faculty.
- Serve on VCUQatar Library teams and be actively engaged in local, regional and international committee work and service to the art history and library science professions.
- ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library Science or advanced degree in a related and highly relevant discipline
- Experience in a responsible role within an academic library environment relevant to art history
- Experience with current best practices for collection development, reference and information literacy instruction
- Experience working with automated library systems and online resources
- Ability to meet the teaching, research, scholarship and service requirements of full-time VCUQatar faculty
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU and VCUQatar
- Strong public service orientation
- Demonstrated commitment to librarianship
- Ability to develop and manage strategic initiatives
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- An additional degree or substantial knowledge of Art History or related field
- Managerial experience and proven leadership abilities
- Experience training staff and students in a technical environment
- Ability to create and maintain Web based resources to support and promote library collections and services relevant to art history.
- Familiarity with a variety of teaching concepts, learning styles, and instructional technologies
- Experience working overseas in a multi-cultural environment