Archivist– The Felix Gonzalez-Torres Foundation
Posted: March 19, 2014 | Author: seymoresarah | Filed under: Archives, Images: Photographs, Opportunities: Job Postings, [ ArLiSNAP ] |
The Felix Gonzalez-Torres Foundation is seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented, proactive and extremely organized individual for the position of part-time Archivist.
The Archivist will conduct a comprehensive evaluation/assessment of the status and various locations of the Felix Gonzalez-Torres Foundation’s archival records and holdings, and advise on how to best consolidate and preserve its archives while making them accessible to researchers. The Felix Gonzalez-Torres Foundation’s archives include exhibition and fabrication information, ephemera, manifestation samples and an extensive library. The Archivist will edit, preserve, and update the archives, and will assist in implementing long term storage for them. In addition, the Archivist will make suggestions for improving existing archival finding aids, and enhancing the organization and accessibility of the Felix Gonzalez-Torres Foundation’s archives. The part-time Archivist will also be responsible for maintaining up to date records on the Foundation’s holdings of archival materials and processing and incorporating new materials into the archives as they are received.
3-4 days per week, potential for growth to full-time.
• Advanced degree in Library Science or equivalent
• Formal training and/or experience with archival processing and preservation, and theories and procedure in archives
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Windows operating systems
• Knowledge of systems and software needed to manage and process archives and manuscript collections, create electronic finding aids, and digitize and make collections accessible digitally
• Knowledge of Filemaker Pro database systems and programming strongly preferred
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign strongly preferred
Other Qualifications:• Must be confident in knowledge of archival best practices
• Ability to safeguard confidential information and perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism, and integrity
• Excellent planning and organizational skills
• Ability to lift boxes of documents
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Intended start date: May 2014. Please note that due to the volume of applicants, we may only contact those individuals who are being actively considered for the position.