Job Posting: Librarian, Art Institute of IndianapolisPosted: May 14, 2014 Filed under: [ ArLiSNAP ] Comments Off on Job Posting: Librarian, Art Institute of Indianapolis
Under the supervision of the Dean of Academic Affairs and in collaboration with the Director of Learning Resources and Centralized Library Services Team, the Librarian ensures school library functions and services are appropriate and properly planned, implemented, and managed. The Librarian assists the school community in use of the library materials and resources through appropriate and meaningful information literacy and instruction programs as well as reference and research support. The librarian assists the school community with use of academic support services and technology including tutoring, assessments, student portals, learning management systems, and others.
Incumbent must assure that the EDMC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion – is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
- Plan, coordinate, conduct, and assess library and information literacy instruction sessions and programs.
- Provide reference and research assistance to school community.
- Assist school community use of academic support and technology platforms and services including tutoring, student portal and others.
- Author, implement, evaluate and update school library policies and procedures in close collaboration with the school Dean of Academic Affairs, system Director of Learning Resources, and Centralized Library Services Team.
- Maintain library in an orderly manner; perform regular inventory, weed materials, and engage in minor catalog updates when requested by Centralized Library Services Team.
- Process and maintain print periodicals, tracking receipt and filing claims for missing issues.
- Receive, inspect and oversee shelving of materials purchased through Centralized Library Services Team.
- Inform Centralized Library Services Team of school community suggested library purchases.
- Collaborate with School Dean of Academic Affairs, Institutional Effectiveness staff, and Centralized Library Services Team in compiling and submitting information and reports for both internal and external (accreditation) purposes.
- Serve on school committees in order to promote, share, and gather information regarding library and related support services.
- Collaborate with school IT to oversee library hardware and software, including AV equipment.
- Aid Dean of Academic Affairs in selecting, training, and supervising Library Assistants and Student Library Assistants when applicable.
- Administer academic placement and certification tests when applicable.
- Conduct long range planning related job function.
- Other duties as assigned.
Dean of Academic Affairs
Library Assistants, Student Library Assistants (No. # of Direct Reports varies by school)
System Director of Learning Resources, System Centralized Library Services Team, faculty, students, administration and staff
- Master’s Degree in Library, Information Science, or related from an ALA accredited school
- At least one year experience working in a post-secondary institution library
- Previous experience delivering instruction preferred
- Knowledge of subjects taught by Art Institute system
- Knowledge of library and educational technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Superior organizational, prioritization, and self-motivation skills
- Strong computer skills
- Work effectively a team member to insure that system and school goals are met
- Ability to effectively teach information literacy skills
- Comfort level with expanding and contracting sphere of influence as required at times by the role
- Ability to frequently lift up to 15 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.