Job Posting: Media & Cultural Studies Librarian, The City University of New York, Brooklyn CollegePosted: June 11, 2014
Information Services Librarian – Media & Cultural Studies Librarian & Weekend Supervisor, Brooklyn College
THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK – BROOKLYN COLLEGE
Title: Information Services Librarian – Media & Cultural Studies Librarian & Weekend Supervisor
Rank: Instructor or Assistant Professor – Substitute (Fall 2014, with possible extension)
Position Detail: Teaching
FLSA Status: Exempt
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and credentials
Web Site: www.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Closing Date: Open until filled with review of resumes to begin immediately
POSITION DESCRIPTION & DUTIES
Reporting to the Head of Reference & Instruction, the Reference Librarian & Weekend Supervisor works as one of a team of librarians providing traditional and online reference, research, instructional, and information literacy services. This Librarian will collect print, electronic, and multimedia resources in selected disciplines (Film, TV & Radio, Performance & Interactive Media Arts, Communications) and provide tailored discipline-related services to faculty and students in those departments of the College and related work as assigned. In addition to the above, the Weekend Supervisor’s responsibilities include overseeing library services and building activities on weekends, including reference and instruction, building issues, technology issues, patron difficulties, troubleshooting events and schedules, etc. The work schedule during the academic year will be Saturdays and Sundays in addition to three weekdays and participation in the regular evening rotation.
- ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library & Information Science.
- Professional experience in an academic, research, or large public library.
- Undergraduate degree in Film, TV/Radio, Media/Cultural Studies, Communications, Performing Arts, or related area.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience developing collaborative working relationships.
- Commitment to innovative and effective user-centered services.
- Experience with current web and instructional technologies.
- Experience dealing with difficult and complex patron issues.
- Experience working with other units in an organization, i.e. Security, Registration, IT.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Supervisory experience.
- Second graduate degree required for appointment above the rank of Instructor.
- Experience working on department/library/college committees.
- Teaching/instructional experience in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated success with scholarly research and publication process.
Complete applications will consist of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. Start date may be negotiable. Applications should be emailed to:
Prof. Stephanie Walker
Chief Librarian & Executive Director of Academic IT