Job Posting: Curatorial Assistant, University of Alberta Art CollectionPosted: July 29, 2014
The University of Alberta has an opening for a 12-month contract, with the possibility of extension, for a Curatorial Assistant. The pay range is from $27.03 to $36.71, and the deadline for applications is August 15th.
The University of Alberta is seeking an industrious and creative Curatorial Assistant for the University of Alberta Art Collection (UAAC). Reporting to the Curator of the University of Alberta Art Collection, the Curatorial Assistant is accountable for a range of museum activities and specific projects in support of the UAAC Collection. The Curatorial Assistant works as part of the curatorial team and in conjunction with the U of A Museums team.
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Assists with researching and processing new acquisitions to museum standards
- Assists with developing and maintaining computerized records of the Art collection in the collections management database (MIMSY XG)
- Assists with moving and preparing objects as required for teaching, research, documentation/photography, access and exhibition purposes
- Assists with the inventory of the collection
- Assists with providing access to the collection by assisting with booking/facilitating tours; staffing museum public spaces
- Assists with repurposing material for tours and school programs
- Assists with providing supervision to volunteers and students
- A minimum of a post-secondary degree in art history, museum studies, studio art or related discipline is preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of museum standards and collections management practices is required
- Experience working with museum database management systems is an asset
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) is required
- Experience supervising students and volunteers is an asset
- Core competencies include: achievement orientated, analytical thinking, conceptual thinking, flexibility, organizational awareness, planning and initiative, self-confidence, self-development, sense of urgency, meticulous attention to detail and team cooperation
To apply, there is an online form, as well as a fax number and snail-mail address (at the link above).