Job Posting: Communication Arts Librarian (I or II), Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TXPosted: November 18, 2014
LIBRARIAN I/II – COMMUNICATION ARTS LIBRARIAN – Date Posted: November 10,
2014 – Job ID#: 900688 – Central University Libraries/Hamon Arts Library.
(Salary range: Low $40s – Low $50s)
Southern Methodist University, a nationally ranked, research university located in the vibrant, arts-friendly city of Dallas, TX, is accepting applications for a full-time Communication Arts Librarian to work in the Hamon Arts Library. This position will join an energetic group of motivated subject librarians that support the innovative and interdisciplinary programs in the visual, performing, and communication arts in the Meadows School of the Arts at SMU. We are seeking a librarian with creative and imaginative ideas for building a more central and powerful impact on learning through engagement with the academic arts community.
Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Serves as the liaison to the faculty and students in the Divisions of Communication Studies, Journalism, including Fashion Media, Arts Entrepreneurship/Arts Management and the Temerlin Advertising Institute, providing reference, library instruction and management of the electronic and print reference collections.
• Selects and interprets the communication arts collections in all formats.
• Works closely with faculty and students in all of the arts, media, and communication fields.
• Provides expertise in the area of copyright by developing instructional tools and conducting instructional sessions on copyright in the arts and communication fields to develop students’ working knowledge about terms and conditions, licensing, fair use and best practices as related to the communication and creative arts.
• ALA- accredited master’s degree in Library or Information Science by 12/19/2014 is required.
• Bachelor’s degree in communication arts, advertising, journalism, arts management or a related discipline.
• Experience in an academic or arts library is preferred
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Familiarity of copyright law and licensing issues as they pertain to the arts and communication fields is strongly desired.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of information literacy, reference, instructional design, and collection development practices and trends
• Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly
• Familiarity with high-level library and information technology specific databases and computer software
• Commitment to professional development
• Candidates must have the ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team.
ENVIRONMENT: Southern Methodist University is a nationally ranked private university in Dallas with seven degree-granting schools and approximately 11,000 students. SMU is a distinguished center for teaching and research located in a culturally rich city with a diverse population.
Priority consideration will be given to submissions received by December 5, 2014. The final deadline for submitting applications is January 5, 2015.
For full consideration, a cover letter addressing the stated preferences, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references is required.
To Apply: Complete an online application at www.smu.jobs. Click on Staff Career
Opportunities and apply to Job ID#: 900688.
Questions may be directed Jolene de Verges, search committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
SMU will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. SMU’s commitment to equal opportunity includes nondiscrimination on the basis of
sexual orientation and gender identity and expression.