Job Posting: Programming Coordinator, InterAccess, TorontoPosted: January 6, 2015
InterAccess is a public gallery, educational facility and production studio dedicated to the creative use of technology, electronic art and new media culture.
Our programs support art forms that integrate new technologies from conception and development to exhibition and discussion. We explore the impact of technology on the social, political and cultural aspects of contemporary life, and encourage audiences to see anew their relationships with interactive artworks.
InterAccess seeks a motivated arts professional to step into the role of Programming Coordinator. This is a renewable 1-year contract.
The Programming Coordinator reports to the Manager, Education and Outreach and the GM. The Programming Coordinator is responsible for coordinating year-round exhibition programming, art events, and special projects. This is a full-time position.
Public Programs (50%)
- Develop and communicate a dynamic vision for the annual exhibitions program to support and enhance InterAccess’ strategic priorities and goals
- Implement all aspects of the art program, including but not limited to:
- producing a schedule of exhibitions from local, national and international artists
- conducting artist studio visits
- facilitating annual and special calls for submissions
- coordinating public events and receptions; talks, tours and screenings
- coordinating installation and shipment of artworks
- ensuring adherence to technical rider specifications and health and safety regulations
- producing written materials for web and print related to art programs
- Under GM direction, seek sponsorship opportunities for exhibitions and related programming, in-kind donations, and special programs
- Contract artists, curators, writers, designers and technicians (with approval of GM)
- Maintain communication with artists and programming partners
Publicity and Design (25%)
- Develop and implement a web and social media strategy to promote exhibitions and related programming
- Coordinate production of exhibition signage, didactic materials, and publications (web and print)
- Coordinate seasonal calendar of activities for publication; generate copy and images, work with designer
- Responsible for visual branding of organization (with GM approval)
- Produce press releases and maintain up-to-date media list for exhibition promotion
Financial and Administration (20%)
- Track exhibition and event attendance
- Maintain up-to-date statistical records
- Keep files on past programming and publicity
- Assist with the programming portion of funding applications
- Track and monitor budget components related to program expenditures
- Maintain gallery and office in good state of cleanliness and repair
- Track gallery equipment and supply inventory
Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BFA/BDes sought, MA/MFA/MDes an asset, commensurate experience considered
- Understanding of contemporary art practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (knowledge of a second language an asset)
- Strong organizational skills; detail oriented
- Brings a high level of self-direction and initiative with strong time-management abilities
- Ability to provide direction and work with a diverse staff, board and membership
- High capacity to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- A clear understanding of contemporary art practices, galleries, and the public and non-profit sector
- Knowledge of managing publications and print projects
- Basic graphic design abilities
- Experience installing a variety of exhibitions
- Experience making or presenting new media art
A technician will support activities. Professional development and on-site training is provided. An ability in at least some of the following is required:
- Experience with MySQL and FTP programs
- Knowledge of common CMS systems, Drupal, WordPress
- Knowledge of Internet Protocols, setting up local networks, setting up Internet connections for artworks
- Working knowledge of common programs such as Arduino, Processing, Pure Data, and Max/MSP
- Basic understanding of electronics and electronic fabrication
- Advanced experience in Mac OSX and Windows (Linux an asset)
- Experience with Adobe CS
- Understanding of video codecs, resolutions, and projector/monitor requirements
- Knowledge of Final Cut Pro, FFMPEG (Other conversion and production programs an asset)
- Experience installing and routing cabling
- Basic construction and fabrication abilities
- Experience working with sound and P.A. systems
Hours of Work:
This position is based on a standard 35-hour work week, Tuesday – Saturday. Some evenings and overtime may be required.
This position is salaried. The salary range is $30,000-35,000 commensurate with experience. The Programming Coordinator may be requested to take on additional hours to support special projects and compensation for this work is to be negotiated separately from this contract.
Holidays and Benefits:
The Programming Coordinator is entitled to a basic health and dental package.
How to Apply:
Apply with cover letter, resume, and 3 references (as a single PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title as the subject heading.