Job Posting: Photo Archivist / Curator, Mariners’ Museum, Newport News, VAPosted: January 22, 2015
Responsible for the administration of photographic collections, which include negative film collections, motion picture films and videos, and photographic prints. This includes acquisition, and de-accession, preservation, conservation and description, reference service, outreach, exhibition, publication, security, loans, and maintenance of the collection. Manages special projects, including database and digitization projects.
- Responsible for the administration of all photographic collections.
Creates goals for managing photographic collection.
Aids in the formulation of policies and procedures related to photographic collections.
Oversees daily maintenance and control of photographic collections and databases.
- Oversees acquisitions, processing, cataloging and digitalization of photographic collections materials.
Arranges, describes, and assists with cataloging archival collections.
Oversees photographs to be added to the Library web page.
Creates and works with databases .
Works directly with donors regarding photographic materials.
Develops and encourages sources for potential acquisitions.
- Conducts research related to the Photography Collections.
Researches history of photographers and maintains a database.
Researches and documents copyright restrictions related to the Photography Collection.
Researches and identifies collection themes for exhibitions and publications.
Prepares text for photography exhibitions, catalogs and publishes articles on the Photography.
- Oversees preservation and conservation of photographic materials.
Assists with monitoring environmental conditions.
Oversees conservation treatments.
Initiates collection surveys and grant-funded projects to insure longevity of the photographic collections.
- Provides Outreach and Education.
Provides lectures on the photographic collection as requested.
Trains volunteers, interns and assigns tasks.
Documents and evaluates performance of assigned tasks.
- Responsible for exhibits related to the photography collection for the Museum.
Assists Museum Curators with exhibits related to photographs.
Develops and curates exhibits related to the Library photo collection.
- Continues professional development.
Keeps current with professional literature.
Participates in professional associations.
Attends conferences and/or pursues continuing education.
Maintains professional contacts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and ability to work with databases.
- Effective organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to accuracy and detail.
- Knowledge of collection management software
Minimum of 2 – 4 years work experience with photographic collections or materials.
Education, Licensure, Certifications:
B.A. in history, public history or related field with a strong focus in photography.
M.F.A.: preferred fields–photo-history, the imaging arts, or photography