Job Posting: Archivist, Interlochen Centre for the Arts, Interlochen, MIPosted: January 22, 2015
Interlochen Center for the Arts, one of America’s most prestigious institutions for arts education, performance and fine arts is seeking to hire an Archivist. The recently established Interlochen Center for the Arts Archives exists to identify, preserve, and make available records, papers, sound recordings, film, photographs and other artifacts of enduring value created or received by ICA and its employees. The archivist’s leadership will ensure that the best practices of preservation and access of the institutional archives will be used. The archive materials will be made available to the ICA and greater community for individual and institutional use.
We would like to fill the position as soon as possible.
The person appointed to this position will also work closely with other members of the Bonisteel Library in order to provide services as needed to the ICA community which include:
- Building meaningful relationships with faculty, staff and students
- Assisting patrons in finding information
- Providing a collection that reflects and anticipates patron’s needs
- Creating a welcoming atmosphere
Major Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide direction and responsibility for the archives collection
- Select, process, arrange, maintain and preserve the archives collection
- Implement best practices of archival management, including emerging metadata standards and tools, ensuring productive and efficient processes
- Create and provide finding aids according to national standards, using DACS, EAD and METS.
- Coordinate archives efforts across campus
- Heighten awareness of ICA archival assets with articles and reports for various media outlets
- Work with marketing, advancement and other departments in order to engage the outside community with the archives
- Supervise archives staff, student interns and volunteers in various library and archival tasks
- Create policies and processes for the archives in coordination with other archives staff
- Assist outside researchers and ICA staff in accessing and retrieving items from the collection
- Provide excellent customer service
- Serve as a resource person for the ICA community
- Participate in school wide committee work when applicable
- MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited academic program with a concentration in archives, or certification in archival management.
- Experience with arrangement of complex collections and preparing finding aids using archival standards, including DACS, EAD, and METS.
- Knowledge of archival data management systems.
- Knowledge and experience implementing best practices for preserving complex archival collections, including moving image, audio, photographs, electronic records, artifacts, and other media.
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively
- Ability to work independently and effectively with others as a team member
- Evening and weekend hours required
- Must be able to regularly lift 40 lbs
- At least two years post-graduate professional experience in archives is desirable
- An undergraduate degree in an arts field, music is highly desirable
- Experience working in both a library and archive
- Experience performing reference and circulation duties
- Grant writing experience is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to initiate new programs and services and to manage a variety of projects in a complex and dynamic environment
Compensation and Benefits:
A competitive salary and benefits package being offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Required documents for application are: cover letter, resume and a current listing of three professional references. Please upload your documents in a pdf format. These documents should be uploaded into your application, under the additional documents section. You can complete the online application by clicking the “I’m interested” green button.
Review of materials will continue until the position has been filled. Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence, and references will not be contacted without the permission of the applicant.
Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence.