Job Opportunity – Archives Assistant – Joan Mitchell Foundation – NY,NYPosted: February 8, 2015
The Joan Mitchell Foundation is seeking candidates for an Archives Assistant position. The Archives Assistant will help further the mission and objectives of the Archives through support of daily operations, assisting the Archivist with a wide range of short and long-term projects. The Archives is located in the Foundation’s newly opened Education & Research Center in Manhattan.
Joan Mitchell Foundation Archives overview:
The mission of the Joan Mitchell Foundation Archives is to collect, organize, and preserve primary and secondary source materials related to Joan Mitchell and her work, and to make its collections available to researchers. In addition, the Archives aims to promote an informed and enduring appreciation of Mitchell’s life and work through research support, educational publications, exhibitions, the Foundation’s website, public programming and other avenues as appropriate.
Responsibilities and related tasks will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Respond to reference queries, both in person and remotely
• Supervise researchers on-site; maintain calendar for research visits
• Scan and/or photograph materials as necessary
• Maintain and update systems for tracking materials as they enter the Archives; document and track exhibition loans
• Assist with cataloging of photo assets in collections management database
• Field copyright permission requests for images of Mitchell’s work; in collaboration with the Archivist, manage license agreement, approval, review and color correction processes
• Maintain and regularly update exhibition and bibliographical lists; ensure that Foundation’s website content is accurate and current
• In collaboration with the Archivist, produce educational materials about Mitchell and her work
• In collaboration with the Archivist, arrange and describe archival materials in all formats in accordance with professional standards and best practices
• Survey existing storage conditions and re-house archival materials when necessary
• Assist with planning and research related to exhibitions, as appropriate
• Purchase materials and supplies as needed
More information and application instructions here.