Job Posting: Digital Assets Manager, The Willem de Kooning Foundation, NY, NYPosted: February 23, 2015
The Willem de Kooning Foundation is seeking a highly organized, discreet, and detail-oriented individual to fill the position of Digital Assets Manager. The position will direct the processing of all digital assets—comprised of images of Willem de Kooning, his studio and artworks, as well as other archival materials—within the Foundation’s existing specialized systems. The position will also work with the Foundation’s research and archives staff on digitization projects, facilitate access to digital materials, and manage image rights. Specific responsibilities include:
- direct acquisition, description, organization, and migration of born-digital and converted digital assets.
- maintain the digital asset infrastructure and codify related standards and protocols.
- develop the Foundation’s digital asset management system.
- develop and manage metadata tools, standardization solutions, and controlled vocabularies to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- ensure the long-term storage of the Foundation’s digital assets, monitor system hardware, and administer digital asset software including license contracts, upgrades, etc.
- plan and direct digitization projects and perform ad-hoc digitization as required.
- respond to rights and reproductions requests.
- work with institutions and scholars on image requests for upcoming publications.
- procure images of works of art from outside sources and manage related rights and license agreements.
- oversee new photography of works in the Foundation’s collection as necessary, and monitor color-correctness.
- manage the growth of the Foundation’s website, including the addition of new components and images.
Master’s Degree in library and information science, archives management, museum studies, art history or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience; five or more years of practical experience in a museum, archive, library, or other institution demonstrating expertise in the tasks listed above; experience managing large-scale projects and organizing extensive collections of information; thorough knowledge of field-wide metadata standards; strong understanding of digital file processing (capture, formats and codecs, color profiling, file conversion, dissemination, etc.); proven expertise with digital asset management systems, Filemaker Pro, and Adobe Photoshop suite.
The winning candidate must demonstrate: an aptitude for complex analytical work with strong attention to detail; an ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; ability to communicate effectively on technology issues with technical and non-technical staff; strong writing and proofreading skills; fastidious work habits; self-starter with the ability to take direction; strong visual acuity as it relates to color-correctness.
Candidates may submit their resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.