Job Posting: Library Technician, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DCPosted: March 10, 2015
*Application due Mar. 20
The incumbent performs the Library information and service to Library users:
- Explains Reader Services procedures and policies, including those governing circulation and use of library materials in all formats
- Assists readers with identifying, locating, and handling Library materials
- Assists readers with using Library photocopiers and printers.
Maintains Circulation Desk files and records in electronic and paper form and compiles reports:
- Patron records for Gallery staff
- Outside reader registrations
- System charges, discharges, renewals, reserves, and recalls
- Special loans (one-day, periodicals, materials authorized to leave the Library)
- Special materials (rare, fragile, oversize, vertical files).
Assists with the maintenance of the Library’s collections:
- Retrieves and reshelves library materials in the stacks and in other special locations
- Sorts (by classification number) books ready for reshelving
- Performs shelf-reading to verify correct shelf order
- Moves and shifts volumes as needed to maintain order and accessibility
- Conducts stack and Gallery office inventories
- Conducts detailed and systematic searches for missing materials and prepares related reports.
Checks bibliographic citations in the Library’s online and printed catalogs to determine holdings. Monitors supplies and equipment used for Circulation Desk operations and in the reading rooms and submits requests to acquire as needed.