Job Opportunity: Library Assistant I (Part-time), The Getty Center, Los Angeles, CAPosted: April 27, 2015
The Library Assistant I will process the M. Knoedler & Co. archive as part of a four-person processing team. The influential art dealer M. Knoedler & Co. was one of the first art galleries established in the United States and played an instrumental role in shaping the emergent American art market in the mid 19th century. The processing team will focus on the gallery’s business records, and the research and photographic files maintained by the firm regarding artworks and collectors. This is a limited-term, part-time position (20 hours per week) through June 2016.
Duties include: re-housing collection materials into archival containers; organizing materials according to an arrangement plan; following local procedures to prepare a container list in the finding aid; preservation photocopying; other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications: bachelor’s degree or course work in art history or a related discipline; good organizational and communication skills; ability to work both independently and collaboratively with efficiency and attention to detail in a production-oriented environment; ability to lift 40 pounds.
Preferred qualifications: experience handling archival materials or special collections; experience with databases. Works under direct supervision on assignments that are routine in nature.
- Undergraduate course work in art history or related discipline
- 0-2 years related experience
- Reading knowledge in at least one foreign language preferred
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to lift boxes and push book trucks up to 40 pounds.
- Experience with common office software applications
- Ability to learn new technologies and software applications.
- Must be comfortable working collaboratively