Job Posting: Digital Archives / Media Management Intern, Preservation Maryland, BaltimorePosted: April 30, 2015
Digital Archivist/Media Management Intern
Summer 2015, 10 week term, 30 hours/week, $4500 stipend
Preservation Maryland is recruiting an intern to process its digital and physical media collections for current and future use. Digital collections include an estimated 12,000 digital images; physical collections include over 6,000 slides, 1,000 photographs, and 100 CDs. The project will include building knowledge on media archiving strategies, including inventory, metadata, organization, rights, workflow development, and media migration strategies.
· Inventory and organize the digital image collections at Preservation Maryland so they are secure and can easily be found and used by staff members.
· Assess, stabilize, and plan for the digitization of legacy physical media content at Preservation Maryland so they can be preserved and used now and into the future. Collections include slides, photographs, CDs, and related ephemera.
· Inventory and assess the digital photo collections held at Preservation Maryland (estimates at 12,000 digital assets), including documentation of technical specs, current metadata, organizational structure, rights concerns and use requirements.
· Make recommendations on establishing file naming conventions and organizational directory structure for internal masters.
· Build an embedded metadata process for the collection by establishing consistent fields and content standards. Build a controlled vocabulary of keywords to tag the collection.
· Process the collection, adding embedded metadata, bulk editing file names, and uploading them to Flickr for access and use. Develop consistent process for uploading images to Flickr for ease of searching the collection and retrieval.
· Working with Preservation Maryland staff, establish workflows for use and access of the internal collection by various staff members,
· Create accession workflows for new images added to the collection so they can be processed and added to the collection properly.
· Review and assess inventory of physical collection items.
· Migrate CD content and process with developed digital collection strategies.
· Research estimates for outsourcing digitization of slide and photo collection, and ephemera.
Training in media archiving and processing strategies is required, including metadata standards, file naming conventions, workflow development, and rights management. Digital archiving and preservation knowledge is a plus. Past experience with Adobe Bridge, file inventory tools, Flickr and Creative Commons is a plus.
About Preservation Maryland
Since 1931, Preservation Maryland has worked to protect the places, stories and communities in Maryland that matter. As a non-profit organization, it works with partners across the state to accomplish this important mission and protect the Best of Maryland.
How to Apply
Send your resume, a cover letter specific to relevant work or academic experience, and two references to Meagan Baco, Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact 410-685-2886 for more information. Applications will be acknowledged, and reviewed on a rolling basis.