Help us make ArLiSNAP better than ever: Take the ArLiSNAP 2014 Survey!


We have decided to re-open the survey questions that followed the ArLiSNAP Co-Moderator Election survey, in order to gain a more complete response from our members. The information gained from this survey will help us to make our content and activities relevant for the largest number of arlisnappers possible.

The survey is composed of two pages with four questions in all, including a space at the end for comments.

Please only fill out the survey if you did not complete the survey questions added to the ArLiSNAP Co-Moderator Election.

Take the survey here.

Thanks for participating! We value your input and would love to hear from our members about what you’re looking for from ArLiSNAP.


Looking for a few good librarians

Are you looking for a way to help out ArLISNAP?
I got good feedback from the ArLiSNAP meeting in Toronto about creating the following positions within ArLiSNAP:

  • chapter liaison → volunteer would routinely collect information about different events, developments, and discussions going on in ARLIS/NA regional chapters throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico and disseminate that information to ArLiSNAP members via the blog and other social media outlets
  • student group liaison → volunteer would create and maintain a list of active ARLIS/NA-affiliated (or aligned) student and young professionals throughout the ARLIS/NA zones. list would be part of a retooled reference section on the ArLiSNAP website, which would include refreshed links
  • education liaison → volunteer would focus on highlighting various educational opportunities (workshops, webinars, symposium, conferences) that could appeal to the ArLiSNAP membership and sharing that via the blog and our other social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
  • member-at-large → would report on current events that would be pertinent to the ArLiSNAP membership including developments in policy within ARLIS/NA, legislation, new services, etc.

If you are interested in any of these positions, please email Stephanie or myself or comment below.
Stephanie and I would definitely be there to support/assist/collaborate with our liasons.

ArLiSNAP Meeting Notes – 3/30/2012

Thank you again to Amanda Qualls for these great notes from Friday’s meeting!
You can find our notes here.

Onward/upward–one co-coordinator leaves, another steps up

As the time of the ARLIS/NA 2012 Conference in Toronto nears, that means (of course) that the time for a change of leadership in ArLiSNAP has arrived. It’s been a pleasure and an honor to help with this group over the past two years. I’m excited to remain a member, contribute my voice, and help ArLiSNAP work even harder for the people it represents.

The past year has seen ArLiSNAP made some important progress, though not all of it might have been immediately visible. At this time, we are currently waiting final approval from the president of ARLIS/NA to complete ArLiSNAP’s transition from Special Interest Group to official Section. This status will afford our membership a greater voice within the ARLIS/NA organization and further legitimize the importance of issues pertinent to students and young professionals within the community. 2009-2011 Co-Coordinator Bryan Loar was invaluable throughout this process, acting as liaison with ARLIS and shepherding our petition through lots of red tape. Our thanks to him for his continued dedication. In a similar vein, the ArLiSNAP website will soon be a part of the official ARLIS website. TEI and Chris Roper are currently working on this transfer of information now. Both of these measures will help magnify our group’s purpose a great deal.

Many discussions about how members can become more actively involved with ArLiSNAP also took place in the past year. A number of volunteer positions are in development. The coordinators of this group feel the most direct path to continued and increased success of ArLiSNAP lies in finding ways to reach out to more student organizations and regional ARLIS chapters, presenting more educational information and opportunities for students and young professionals, and connecting our members to the greater infrastructure of ARLIS. Opportunities for different liaison positions will be discussed at the ArLiSNAP meeting on Friday, March 30th at 4 p.m. Please make sure to be there so your voice can be heard.

With any transition, there are logistics to be minded. Statements of interest for the new co-moderator position are now being accepted. Submissions should be brief (a few sentences) and state some personal background info (school, work, passions) along with a bit of what you would bring to ArLiSNAP as a leader (ideas!). All those interested can simply post a comment on this blog entry! Comments on that entry will be open until midnight on Friday, April 6th. A poll will be created on April 7th and voting will be open for one week. The candidate with the most votes on April 13th will be named co-moderator for 2012-2014.

I very much wish that I could attend the conference this year but I know that Suzanne will do an excellent job leading the meeting. I really ask that you all be vocal, be creative, and don’t be afraid to take on new responsibilities (even though I know we’re all overworked and underpaid). The fuel of this group is volunteerism and foresight. I think that individually, we can all make a big difference for the entire group. Though I will no longer be coordinator, I will still contribute to this blog and to the development of ArLiSNAP’s future.

I hope to keep learning from all of you.

My thanks to everyone.

Rosemary K. J. Davis, MSLIS
ArLiSNAP Co-Coordinator, 2010-2012
Member-at-Large, ARLIS Communications and Publications Committee, 2012-2014

ArLiSNAP–a proposal for change

ArLiSNAP needs to change.

While the organization’s current information stream about job postings and helpful hints is functional and useful, there is also a lot more we can be doing as an ARLIS significant interest group. In the past two years that I’ve served as a co-coordinator, we have received almost one hundred new ARLIS members who are interested in the group. This is a tremendous number.

And I think we all deserve to make our group more…activated and more representative of our education, backgrounds, locales, and personal histories. Young professionals and students are the very definition of the avant-garde–we are the next wave of understanding, implementation, discussion, and innovation for information professionals in the art library, museum, and academic spheres.

We are all busy. We are all probably all tired. But communities like ours function best with the input of a chorus. To that end, I feel we should not have just two coordinators, but a team of dedicated, focused individuals providing viewpoints, information, resources, and opportunities that address the fuller professional and academic spectrum represented by our membership.

Normally at this time of year, we request for candidates to step up and take on a two-year term of co-coordinatorship. I propose that instead, this year, we not only elect a new co-coordinator, but also establish positions like the following:

  • a student liaison that interacts with representatives from different student library groups across the US and Canada, then reporting important resolutions, accomplishments, and developments
  • a professional liaison that interacts with representatives from different regional ARLIS factions to highlight how students and young professionals can become involved on a more local level
  • an opportunities coordinator that focuses on pushing job postings, educational information (webinars, symposia, etc.) to our different venues on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and the blog
  • a small team of dedicated “issues” bloggers that contribute original content to our blog in the form of topical analysis relevant to the field of art librarianship
  • an advisory council comprised of former coordinators and interested professionals/scholars that can mentor the group’s leadership and contribute their voices to discussions

These are but a few suggestions–nothing is decided and nor will it be without an open discussion with the group’s members. I feel that while we have made significant progress in the past year in terms of membership numbers and blog traffic, there are still gaps that I couldn’t bridge as coordinator. The lives of students and young professionals are often overwhelmingly full. I found myself frequently frustrated by the lack of time I had to devote to creating more dynamic content for our group. It seems to me that having a stronger community of producers all devoted to a common cause will ease the burden of the coordinators by diffusing the workload. More importantly though, a diversity of voices can only increase the vitality of discussion amongst our members.

Now, more than ever, we need to ask questions and look to each other for help. We need to take advantage of our strengths, our experiences, and our intelligence in order to make the important issues of our membership impossible to ignore.

Let’s start a conversation. Let’s talk about what we want ArLiSNAP to do for us as a community. Let’s talk about the future.

I hope you will all chime in with opinions and suggestions. I look forward to moving forward.

Rosemary K. J. Davis
Co-Coordinator, 2010-2012 

ArLiSNAP Category Name Change


I just wanted to alert you to a category name change.  What was once “Opportunities: Training and Courses” is now “Opportunities: Professional Development.” 

If you have any concerns, please feel free to comment below.


ArLiSNAP Technical Difficulties

If you encounter an error when viewing this blog, please contact wordpress support. The errors are so sporadic that they can never replicate it, so the more messages the better. In the meantime, I’ve removed our RSS feeds on the right side of the blog.

Annual Report and Goals of the ARLIS/NA Student Affairs Discussion Group

View the annual report of the ARLIS/NA Student Affairs Discussion Group online at You must be a member of ARLIS/NA to access the password-protected report. But, below are the goals that Co-Moderators & report authors Sarah Carter and Megan Macken included in the report.

Student Affairs Community current and future goals include the following:

  1. Utilize the ArLiSNAP online community to increase national conference participation among students and new professionals as attendees, volunteers, and panelists.
  2. Increase involvement of ARLIS/NA senior members. Although the ArLiSNAP community exists for the newest generation of ARLIS/NA professionals, a relationship with tenured professionals is essential for mentorship, advice, support and networking.
  3. Link the blog directly to the ARLIS/NA website. The Student Affairs Community would ultimately like to be able to host and administer ArLiSNAP from an ARLIS/NA server to provide the highest level of quality and greater visibility.
  4. Improve the regular collection of statistics on group participation.
  5. Publish resources (in print or online) in collaboration with ARLIS/NA that benefit the Student Affairs community. Projects of interest include:
    • the continued collection, dissemination, and annotation of internet links relevant to art information professionals
    • the digitization of Betty Jo Irvine’s comprehensive bibliography of art librarianship;
    • a revision of the 1999 Addendum to Library Schools in Canada and the United States: Educational Opportunities for Careers in Fine Arts and Visual Resources Librarianship.
  6. Sustain the growth of the group by electing one co-moderator each year for a two-year term. Overlapping terms will allow the two co-moderators to ensure the continued success of the discussion group and maintain the momentum of long-term projects.

Inclusive or Selective ArLiSNAP Topics

Carter, good point with very convincing examples (I really, really like scrapblog.  Maybe we could do something with it after the conferenece)

Because I’ve started this as a new topic, I’ve included the thread below.




  1. mmacken Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 10:11 am

    I’ve been thinking that I like the term “online community” better than “blog” when describing ArLiSNAP. I was delighted to see these comments, especially the happy ending. Although much of the time we deal with things (books, slides, digital images, etc.), I think that librarianship is a unique field because collaboration and community building are not only encouraged but put into practice. The university is a place where students and scholars vie for top positions, top grades, and fellowships, but a great deal of creative thinking rises from interdisciplinary collaboration and serendipitous connections, and that’s where we come in.

    All that to say, I think it’d be great if posts weren’t all “art-librarian related.” ) Sometimes the random ones are a good reminder that we’re not a bunch of stereotypical librarians, drones, or avatars (although since I’ve never met Bryan Loar in person, I can’t prove that he’s not a machine), we’re a community of real people who share interests in art and books and the technology to make them available to everyone.

  2. Bryan Loar Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 12:03 pm I think what we have with ArLiSNAP is definitely an “online community” that happens to have a blog as one component. I really like how we mashed-up the idea of a blog to become much more.

    I’m conflicted about including other topics of interest beyond art librarianship. I think it should still be somehow related, and, if it is not apparent, the author should try to make that distinction. I’ve posted topics on my own blog that I don’t think necessarily fit in here.

    After studying Cartesian philosophy with a healthy dose of Hume, I can’t, with certainty, say that I’m not a machine. It is true…I am particular to my leopard skin (click here for “proof”).

  3. mmacken Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 12:29 pm I suppose I should clarify. What I really meant to say: “All that to say, I think it’d be great if posts weren’t all [directly] “art-librarian related” [in the sense that Ann’s comment is personal, but is actually related to art librarians (since she is one)]. Comments that have some connection to art librarianship, even a loose connection, should be welcome, in my opinion. Thanks for bringing this up, Bryan.
  4. Carter Says:
    April 4th, 2007 at 5:23 pm I have thought about this topic quite a bit as well. ARLIS-L and VRA-L each have their share of fun, non-business related posts and I think that’s what keeps this profession interesting. There are issues within the larger realm of Librarianship that I don’t post about here, but I think would still be of interest to our members. For instance, has anyone seen the new Tumblr concept , which is described as being an online scrapbook? Plus, I’ve recently run across Scrapblog, which is another way users record their experiences visually. While not totally related to our professional goals, they are changing the way users think about access to information.

New RSS Feed

Because the NYT Guggenheim feed had become unpredictable, I’ve exchanged the feed for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s podcasts.  If you would like to know more about the Met’s podcasting program, please go to



Suggest Categories

You can suggest categories here by leaving a comment, or post them to the blog (category “Suggestions for Categories”).


What level of granularity should our Art Libraries section have?  Should we keep it as one chunk?  Should we break it down into art libraries, museum libraries, design school libraries?

Your thoughts?

Suggestions for Improving this Blog

Please post your suggestions for the improvement of this blog and tag them with the category “Suggestions for Improving this Blog.”

If you have a more private concern, please email the blog administrator.

Temporary Name Change

OK, so I’m fooling around with our site’s name.  I’m not very partial to what I’ve named it (i.e. SNAP), but I can’t think of a better way to incorporate both students & new professionals.  Could it be because it’s 2:45am?  Maybe.

SNAP = Students & New ARLIS Professionals

CSS functionality added

You can write your own CSS on wordpress now, but it costs $15. You can also use your own CSS on top of a theme to make simple adjustments.


A new look.  What do you think?

Contributors are now visible.  Plus, the header image may be changed.  Ah, personalization–though I still wish we could hack the html ;->

Slow today?

This site seems to take forever to load today. Anyone else notice? Wonder why.

Log In Link

Is there a link on the blog somewhere to sign in? This would be really useful, but I haven’t found it if there is one.

Administrator Authority

I think we should discuss and lay some ground rules down in regards to admin authority/involvement.  We should be very upfront to participants how, if any, moderation takes place on the blog.

  • We should indicate whether or not we would ever edit a post
  • We should indicate proper etiquette and repercussions for improper use
  • We should indicate rights and responsibilities of authors & administrator(s)

Any Thoughts?

All posts anonymous??

Hmm…It looks like there’s no way to tell who posts a post? Just comments? That might be an issue, but maybe anonymity is good. But, don’t they always tell us to evaluate the our info sources?